2016 STIHL MS 271
Durable chain saw for all around use
The MS 271 chain saw is a mid-range unit that is part of STIHL’s new generation of fuel-efficient, low emission chain saws. Designed with a stratified scavenging engine and modern construction technology, it features enhanced ergonomics and advanced anti-vibration system for operator convenience and comfort. Other features include toolless fuel and oil caps with retainers, transparent fuel tank, side-access chain tensioner and a long-life air filtration system for ease of care, making this high-performance saw the right choice for the landscaper or farmer.
- Displacement (cc): 50.2
- Power output (kW/bhp): 2.6/3.5
- Weight (kg / lbs): 5.6 / 12.3
- Bar options (in): 16, 18, 20
- Heated carburetor (V): By changing the chain saw from summer to winter operation, the intake air is pre-heated over the engine fins. This ensures that the carburetor does not ice up and you can continue working in freezing temperatures.
- Anti-vibration system: Intense vibration at the handles of power tools can lead to long-term effects on blood vessels in the hands and arms. STIHL has therefore developed an effective anti-vibration system whereby the oscillations from the machine's engine are dampened which significantly reduces vibrations at the handles.
- Reduced-emission engine technology: 2-stroke engine with stratified charge. A fuel-free layer of air is created between the burned charge in the combustion chamber and the fresh charge in the crankcase, reducing the amount of fuel lost during the charge cycle. This results in more power with a lower weight, up to 20% lower fuel consumption than regular 2-stroke engines and significantly reduced exhaust emissions.
- Advanced combustion technology: Four overflow channels swirl the fuel-air mix before ignition, allowing for optimum combustion and highly efficient performance. The result is lower fuel consumption and high torque across a broad rpm range.
- Pre-separation air filtration system: STIHL long-life air filtration systems with pre-separation achieve perceptibly longer filter life compared with conventional filter systems. Air drawn in is swirled. The larger, heavier particles are ejected. The pre-cleaned air is routed to the air filter via the pre-separator duct.
- Tool free filler caps: Special catches on the fuel and oil tanks for easy opening and locking without the need for tools.
- Compensator: This controller in the carburetor prevents the fuel-air mixture getting richer as the air filter becomes clogged. The correct quantity of fuel is delivered to the carburetor depending on the quantity of air passing through the air filter. This keeps the fuel/air ratio in the combustion mixture constant and hence also the engine power. The filter doesn't need to be cleaned until an appreciable drop in power occurs.
- Ematic chain lubrication system: The Ematic chain lubrication system ensures pinpoint lubrication of the saw chain links and guide bar rails. When used with STIHL OILOMATIC saw chain, it will provide maximum lubrication, longer wear and less oil consumption than conventional methods of chain lubrication. The Ematic system can reduce bar oil consumption by up to 50%.
- Side chain tensioner: The tensioning screw can be found on the side of chain saw through the sprocket cover. This removes the need for contact with the sharp saw chain.
- Single-lever master control: All important functions such as start, choke, throttle and stop are operated via a single lever.
- 50.2 cc
- Horse Power
- 2.6 kW (3.5 bhp)
- 5.6 kg (12.3 lb.)
- Bar Length Options
- 16, 18, 20 in.